The Six Sermons of Unitarian Universalism is a fantastic course for adult lifespan faith development. Three sermons from the 19th century formed the bedrock theology of American Unitarianism. We will read and discuss these three as well as three sermons illustrative of contemporary 21st century Unitarian Universalism.
1. “Unitarian Christianity” by William Ellery Channing download PDF
2. “The Divinity School Address” by Ralph Waldo Emerson download PDF
3. “The Transient and the Permanent in Christianty” – Theodore Parker download PDF
The three sermons by Channing, Emerson and Parker can be found together in the book Three Prophets of Religious Liberalism, edited (and with commentary) by Conrad Wright.
4. “Reflections on the Experience of a Newcomer” by Gail R. Geisenhainer
Read: download PDF
5. “Life Calls Us On” by William G. Sinkford
6. In All Thy Getting, Get Understanding by Nancy McDonald Ladd
Read: (excerpt) online or download PDF
Watch (sermon begins at 1:11:50):